Salisbury Point Railroad Historical Society

Salisbury Point Railroad Historical Society History Salisbury Point Depot

The station was built by the Eastern Railroad in the 1870's at Rocky Hill Road in Salisbury, Massachusetts. It measures a mere 11 feet wide by 20 feet long but don't let these measurements fool you! A busy place it was, receiving all the mail and newspapers bound for Salisbury Point from Boston on a daily basis.

Other activities involved the shipping and receiving of commodities from local businesses such as the Lowell Boat Shop where many dories were built and shipped from the same Railroad station that received a large majority of their "raw" stock.


Dec. 2, 1884 The Eastern Railroad is taken over by the Boston & Maine R. R.
July 1, 1886 The boundary lines between the towns of Amesbury and Salisbury are changed. The Salisbury Point Station keeps its original name but is now listed as being in the town of Amesbury.
March 3, 1936 The Boston & Maine Railroad discontinues passenger service on the Amesbury branch.
1938 The Salisbury Point Station is sold to Frederick H. Sargent who will use the structure as a garage on Prospect St. in Amesbury.
1980 After several owners, the Salisbury Point Station is sold by Ronald Greenwood to Richard Nichols for the consideration of One Dollar.
October, 1980 The Bartlett Museum allows the restoration of the Salisbury Point Station to take place in their back yard.
June 25, 1983 The restoration of the Salisbury Point Station is completed under the management of the Bartlett Museum.
May, 1985 The Bartlett Museum Railroad Association becomes known as the Salisbury Point Railroad Historical Society.
Sept., 1986 Vandals cause $4100 worth of damage to the Salisbury Point Station. It is completely repaired once again.


The Salisbury Point Station is open to the Public from Memorial Day through Labor Day from I to 4 P.M., Saturday and Sunday.


       

Home / Who We Are / Archives / Events / Express Gifts / Photo Archive / Links / Contact Us

2002 Salisbury Point Railroad Historical Society